Registration is now OPEN for players born in 2016, 2017, and 2018!
Day: Saturday 11:15 am to 12:15 pm (Starting Mid-September)
Where: Ford Performance Centre
Tyke IP Program Overview
What is the Initiation Program?
The Initiation Program (IP) is a Hockey Canada sponsored program that introduces the basic skills of hockey in a fun and safe environment, and focuses on the development of skills in a non-competitive environment.
The Goals of the IP Program are the following:
- To have fun while playing hockey and engaging in physical activity
- To learn the basic skills required to-play the game of hockey.
- To develop an understanding of basic teamwork through participation in a variety of activities and adapted game situations.
- To create and refine basic motor skill patterns.
- To be introduced to the concepts of cooperation and fair play.
The Initiation program recommends the following practice time allotment:
- 85% technical skills
- 15% individual tactics
- 0% team tactics
- 0% team play
- 0% strategy
Click here for more information on the Hockey Canada Initiation Program.
Please insure your child is properly equipped, below is a listing of the required equipment. To insure their safety, if your child does not have all the equipment listed below they will not be permitted on the ice.
- Hockey helmet and face mask (Must be CSA approved and properly fitted)
- Socks and garter belt (or undergarment with Velcro to hold socks)
- Neck guard (BNQ certified) which is neither too loose nor too tight
- Shin pads (proper size and length)
- Mouth guard (proper size) – Mandatory
- Elbow Pads (proper size)
- Skates – properly fitted and sharpened
- Hockey Gloves (proper size – avoid short cuffs as they do not provide proper protection against slashes to the wrist area)
- Stick – properly measured while on skates – should be at chin level; end of stick (knob) must be thick enough to not fit through any face mask openings.
- Hockey Pants (proper size and length)
- Protective Jill (proper size